For 2010, No Resolutions but a Revelation! (Hepatitis C (Hep C) Blog)

Thursday 31 December 2009


So here comes 2010, but this year I’ve decided NOT to make any New Year’s Resolutions, but take each day as I find it. In my position, I don’t think I’m best placed to make too many plans or promises for the future. So instead I want to use this New Year’s blog post, not go carping on about my problems or how ultimately crappy I’m feeling, but talk to you instead about what I can only describe as profound!

I am talking about the people I have met, online or otherwise, who like me, have got or have had Hepatitis C. Or for that matter, the people who, for no obvious benefit or reward to themselves, work tirelessly to make folks like me feel better.

There is no doubt that having Hep C is a bloody awful thing to have, and when you get diagnosed and you learn what HCV actually is (and is not), and it feels like you’ve just been hit by a steam train! After that comes the feeling of being completely alone and if like me, you have family around you, it’s only them that keeps you going. If you don’t, then I can only say that my deepest sympathies are with you. But nothing alters the fact, in either situation, that at some point you will face this virus alone. And it’s then that you enter a very dark place indeed.

But this where I have found my revelation for 2010, and it is this. Because you have just been diagnosed with Hep C, you have also become a member of something huge. A large community of people just like you. Moreover, as I said on the Hep C Nomads forum, I find that whilst there are the obvious downsides to having HCV, the virus seems to create a very special breed of people who are refreshingly open, honest and candid about the situation you are in. It is these people that you become a part of and you will be able to talk freely, without judgement or reprisal, about the experiences that we will all face and face together.


I told ‘Chrissy’ from ‘Nomads’ that when I was first told by my doctor that I had Hepatitis C, I had so much going on in my life at that time that l didn't really fully understand what HCV was. My Doctor said later that he thought I was in denial but if the truth be told I was just ignorant as to what Hepatitis C was and what it was going to mean to me. When I was first diagnosed I thought, right, OK, so what tablets do I need to take to get rid of this? Now the full extent of what it meant for me has become painfully clear, I keep thinking - If only I had known...

I spent a lot of time then, moping around in the wilderness so to speak, feeling like this situation was unique to me, but after a time I realised I had to do something about the situation I was in. It was only after meeting people like myself after my admission to St Jimmy’s that someone told me to get online and research! Since that time, I got on the internet and started ‘googling’, ‘twittering’ and eventually ‘blogging’. It was then that I realised that I was not alone!

It was then that I started to meet people like ‘Murph’ and Dave G @hepCoz on twitter in Australia, and others like them that I started feeling like I was getting somewhere. And all the info from the Hep C Trust website. Now I’m joining HCV forums and meeting new people all the time. Like I said earlier – If only I had known...

The rest however is as they say, history. So now I write my blog to try and help others understand what I’m going through and help me pass the time whilst on the transplant waiting list. Plus it amuses me no end, which is a bonus!

So, if you stumble across this blog and you’re researching, then I hope you find plenty of info here and links to plenty more like me. For me it's not just been a revelation, it has been nothing short of a bloody miracle, and for that I am thankful.

And to those of you who are like me and have Hepatitis C or you help others with it, then I raise my glass full to the brim with my finest fruit juice (as it will always be in our community) and drink to you this New Year and I hope we all keep safe and well in 2010, and hope we have many more to come.

Happy New Year everyone .... Ian

1 comments:

pixie 1 January 2010 at 21:04  

Hi Ian and a Happy New Year from me..

I was like you when I was first Dx, thought I was alone, once I found a large community of people affected with HCV I never looked back..and the very reason I spend lots of time finding those lost in cyberspace looking for support and head them to the Nomads forum...

LOL didnt know you know Murph, she is great I have known her a while and she is also a Nomad Member...

Thank you for the blog mention I know already someone has read it and joined the forum so your also reaching out to others thru the blog...

You know where I am ....Px

http://hepcnomads.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

www.hepcnomads.co.uk

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Share it!

Share |

My Diary Posts

My Diary Posts

My Diary Posts


Thanks for calling!

What Is Hepatitis C?

Hepatitis C Information:

Hepatits C is a blood-borne viral disease which can cause liver inflamation, fibrosis, cirrhosis and liver cancer. The Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is spread by blood-to-blood contact with infected person's blood. Many people with HCV infection have no symptoms and are unaware of the need to seek treatment. Hepatitis C infects an estimated 150-200 million people worldwide. It is the leading cause of liver Transplant...

Hepatitis C is an inflamation of the liver caused by infection with the Hepatitis C virus is one of the five known hepatitis viruses: A, B, C, D & E. Hepatitis C was previousley known as non-A non-B hepatitis prior to isolation of the virus in 1989.

Symptoms of Acute Hepatitis C:

Acute Hepatitis C refers to first 6 months after infection with HCV. Remarkably, 60% - 70% of people develop no symptoms during the acute phase. In the minority of patients who experience acute phase symptoms, thet are generally mild and non-specific, and rarely lead to specific diagnoses of Hepatitis C. Symptoms of acute hepatitis C include decreased appetite, fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, itching and flu-like symptoms.

Symptoms of Chronic Hepatitis C:

Chronic Hepatitis C is defined as infection with the Hepatitis C virus persisting for more than six months. The course of chronic hepatitis C varies considerably from one person to another. Virtually all people infected with HCV have evidence of inflamation on liver biopsy however, the rate of progression of liver scarring (fibrosis) shows significant inter-individual variability.

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP