Questions to the HepC Community (Hepatitis C / Liver Transplant & Biopsy (Hep C) HCV Blog)

Monday 11 April 2011

Hi all, still waiting to start tx (treatment) as my HepC nurse and Consultant have had holidays- one straight after the other...bloody frustrating as I want to get cracking.

I have been told that as a (HCV) geno 1a, post (liver) transplant, I only stand a 30% chance of clearing the virus but hey, it’s worth a shot – it might get rid of it or at least knock it back until some new drugs come along – I think it’s gonna be another couple of years before transplant patients get Teleprevir / Boceprevir (new HepC drugs) on the NHS in the UK and I can’t wait that long – Still hanging in there folks!
(Pictured - 'injecting Interferon')

They also said that there is a chance that the HepC treatment drugs, being fairly bloody powerful, could react badly with my immunosuppressant drugs and that I could end up rejecting my new liver - eeek. I suppose if my docs have put me forward tx then they must think its worthwhile...?

Just wondered if any of you within the HepC community had any info on 'pre-dosing' with Ribavarin for a couple of weeks prior to commencing with Interferon?

I have heard of a few people who have done this (geno 1a's like myself) and said it was very successful, especially as they had been non-responders 1st time around and had tried this on their 2nd attempt and WON, any info would be greatly appreciated as been told I am to start tx any time soon .

This is the 1st attempt for me even though HCV took my first liver (my liver was too damaged by the time I was diagnosed with HepC) so anything to improve my chances 'post-transplant' would be good.

I realise also that the jury’s out on this issue as it seems that the people who have 'pre-dosed', highly recommend this action and those that didn’t tend to say ‘stick to yr doctors orders’ – I have to say that I haven’t come across anyone who has 'pre-dosed' and then not achieved the hallowed 'SVR' (Sustained Virological Response - or cured to you and me). If anyone does feel that it’s so contentious an issue that they would rather email me rather than post a comment, then I understand – whether they are for, or against it, I’m trying to get info to make an informed choice.

I also wanted to ask you folks about Anti-Depressants, I was reading an article on HepatitisC NewDrugs  (http://goo.gl/fb/v51BG) saying that patients who start treatment from the outset on anti-depressants are far more likely to complete tx than those who don’t. And I wondered if anyone felt they needed pain-killers at any point – I get a lot of abdominal pain but wonder if that’s just because I had a transplant.

Other than that folks all is good and I’m waiting to get on with it, my Hep C Special Nurse rang me to say she has no problem treating me but I have to see the Consultant who got back to work last Friday, once he’s gets to his admin I’ll get an appointment and we should be getting going! Keep everything crossed for me.

Take care everyone… Ian

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Share it!

Share |

My Diary Posts

My Diary Posts

My Diary Posts


Thanks for calling!

What Is Hepatitis C?

Hepatitis C Information:

Hepatits C is a blood-borne viral disease which can cause liver inflamation, fibrosis, cirrhosis and liver cancer. The Hepatitis C virus (HCV) is spread by blood-to-blood contact with infected person's blood. Many people with HCV infection have no symptoms and are unaware of the need to seek treatment. Hepatitis C infects an estimated 150-200 million people worldwide. It is the leading cause of liver Transplant...

Hepatitis C is an inflamation of the liver caused by infection with the Hepatitis C virus is one of the five known hepatitis viruses: A, B, C, D & E. Hepatitis C was previousley known as non-A non-B hepatitis prior to isolation of the virus in 1989.

Symptoms of Acute Hepatitis C:

Acute Hepatitis C refers to first 6 months after infection with HCV. Remarkably, 60% - 70% of people develop no symptoms during the acute phase. In the minority of patients who experience acute phase symptoms, thet are generally mild and non-specific, and rarely lead to specific diagnoses of Hepatitis C. Symptoms of acute hepatitis C include decreased appetite, fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, itching and flu-like symptoms.

Symptoms of Chronic Hepatitis C:

Chronic Hepatitis C is defined as infection with the Hepatitis C virus persisting for more than six months. The course of chronic hepatitis C varies considerably from one person to another. Virtually all people infected with HCV have evidence of inflamation on liver biopsy however, the rate of progression of liver scarring (fibrosis) shows significant inter-individual variability.

  © Blogger template The Beach by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP